Oftentimes, the negative or frustrating moments in our lives have a way of overshadowing the good things that have happened. We allow negative thoughts to creep in and take over, but God’s Word encourages us to think differently.
Philippians 4:8 gives us some concrete direction:
Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.
GET YOUR CHILDREN TALKING
True: in accordance with fact or reality; genuine, accurate, or exact
• What is truth? Are you in the habit of examining the things you hear against God’s truth (Scripture)?
Noble: having or showing fine personal qualities or high moral principles and ideals; of excellent or superior quality
• When we think about and speak of others, do we focus on their noble traits? Or do we focus on their faults and flaws?
Right: morally good, justified, or acceptable; true or correct as a fact; that which is morally correct, just, or honorable
• What does justice mean? When someone hurts us, do we take revenge? Or do we respond like Jesus would have?
Pure: wholesome and untainted by immorality; free of any contamination
• What does it mean to have pure thoughts? What are some actions we can take to abstain from impure thoughts?
Lovely: exquisitely beautiful; very pleasant or enjoyable; delightful
• When situations aren’t desirable, we can choose to focus on the beautiful things around us. God created beautiful things for our delight. What are some beautiful things that God has placed in your life?
Admirable: arousing or deserving respect and approval
• What does it mean to admire someone? Who are some people you admire or look up to? What are some godly characteristics these people possess that you would like to emulate?
Excellent: extremely good; outstanding
• How can we show excellence in our own lives? Do we strive to do our best no matter the circumstances?
Praiseworthy: deserving approval and admiration
• Do we thank or praise people who deserve it? Who is someone in your life you would like to thank or express your admiration for?