Prep Time: 15 min. Cook Time: 1 hr. 15 min. Yields: 6–8 servings
* For an easy metric conversion chart, search the Internet for “metric kitchen.”
What You’ll Need for Skillet Scalloped Potatoes:
• 6 medium Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
• 3 tablespoons butter
• 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
• 1 1/2 cups milk
• 2 – 2 1/2 cups cups shredded Gruyere cheese
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 sprig thyme
• salt and pepper to taste
What You’ll Do for Skillet Scalloped Potatoes:
1. Preheat oven to 400° F.
2. Heat a 9- or 10-inch cast iron or oven-safe skillet over medium heat. Add the butter and reduce heat to low. Once the butter melts, add the flour and whisk for 30 seconds. Add the garlic, thyme, and a pinch of salt and pepper and whisk in the milk until smooth.
3. Remove the skillet from the heat and pour the milk mixture into a separate bowl.
4. Arrange the sliced potatoes in the skillet in an overlapping spiral pattern, season each layer with salt and pepper, and sprinkle cheese between each layer.
5. Pour the milk mixture over the potatoes and then cover with the remaining cheese.
6. Cover with foil and bake for 1 hour.
7. Remove the foil and bake for 5 to 10 minutes or until top is golden.
8. Let cool for 5 to 10 minutes and serve.