In Matthew 16, Jesus asks His disciples what people are saying about His identity.
Many in the ancient world are unsure about the Son of Man, but Peter boldly proclaims, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.”
Jesus responds by speaking identity into Peter (v. 18), then says to all the disciples, and ultimately to future believers like us, “I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven” (v. 19).
To believers, a key can symbolize our royal priesthood and the promise of eternal life in heaven with Jesus. King Jesus holds the keys of death and Hades (Revelation 1:18) and also our salvation (John 11:25).
Make this key bracelet as a reminder that as a beloved son or daughter of the King, you hold the keys to the kingdom. Jesus broke the barriers between heaven and earth.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
• leather cord
• key (you can use an old key or purchase a faux key from a craft store—skeleton keys tend to work best)
• jewelry clasp (lobster clasps are sturdier for leather)
• beads (optional)
WHAT YOU’LL DO
1. Cut two 12″ pieces of leather cord.
2. Fold one cord in half and attach to one end of the key with a luggage knot.
3. Repeat with the other cord on the other end of the key. 4. Thread beads or add decorative knots if you like.
5. Tie each loose end to the rings on the lobster clasp.
6. Enjoy your royal priesthood reminder daily!