When we receive love, it changes us from the inside out! Receiving love from God and from those around us helps us become more confident in our identity. Each day, as we receive love from God, we can pass it on to others. We can be a beautiful example of God’s love in our homes, communities, and around the world.
Using flowers and food coloring, watch as the flowers go through a beautiful transformation. Spend time together as a family discussing ways each of us embraces the love that we receive.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
- 4–5 white flowers (carnations, daisies, roses, etc.)
- food coloring (4–5 different colors)
- 4–5 clear glasses or vases
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Begin by trimming each of the flower stems. Trim each flower at an angle at least half an inch from the bottom of the stem. Trimming the flowers helps them absorb the water and coloring—trim to the desired length to fit in the vases.
- Fill each vase with desired amount of water.
- Squeeze 2–3 drops of food coloring into each vase. Make sure each vase has a different color of water.
- Insert one flower into each vase.
Over the next couple of days, revisit the flowers and notice the changes that are occurring. After the flowers have absorbed a good amount of color, sit down and discuss the following together:
- What happened to the flowers after they sat in the colored water?
- The flowers changed as they soaked up the water. How do we change when we soak up love from God? How about from family and friends?
- How do you feel when you receive love?
- List some ways we can pass on the love we receive to others around us.