Cooking the french toast bites in the broiler allows the sugar to caramelize and adds a little crunch. Pair these bites with your family’s favorite fruits and everyone will be happy and ready to face all the adventures of a new school year!
Prep Time: 15 min. Cook Time: 2-6 min. Yields: 8 skewers
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
• 5 thick slices of French or Italian bread
• 4 eggs
• 2 tablespoons cream or whole milk
• 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 1/2 tablespoon cinnamon
• 1/2 cup sugar
• assorted fruit
• bamboo skewers
* For an easy metric conversion chart, search the Internet for “metric kitchen.”
WHAT YOU’LL DO
1. Cut the bread into cubes—it’s best to do this the night before and leave the bread in an open plastic freezer bag. Drier bread works better because it soaks up the egg mixture without getting soggy.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, cream, and vanilla extract. Add a pinch or two of the cinnamon.
3. In another bowl, stir together the remaining cinnamon and the sugar.
4. Dip the cubed bread into the egg mixture, then coat in the cinnamon sugar.
5. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
6. Broil for 1–3 minutes, flip, broil another 1–3 minutes. (1–3 minutes is actually a pretty big difference when working with a broiler, but all ovens are a little different. It’s best to keep a close eye on your toasts so they crisp to your liking but don’t burn.)
7. Once broiled, toss on a little more sugar.
8. Assemble skewers, alternating French toast bites with cubes of your favorite fruits.