PREP: 40 min. COOK TIME: 45 min. YIELDS: 6 servings
* For an easy metric conversion chart, search the Internet for “metric kitchen.”
What You’ll Need for Butternut Squash and Sausage Stuffed Shells:
• 1 butternut squash, peeled and cubed
• 1 onion, sliced
• 3/4 cup milk
• 3/4 cup vegetable broth
• 1 pound sausage
• 2 cups spinach
• 3 cloves garlic
• 1 pound jumbo shells, cooked al dente
• 15 ounces ricotta
• 1 egg
• 1/4 cup Parmesan, shredded
• additional Parmesan, shredded
• olive oil
• salt and pepper
What You’ll Do to Make Butternut Squash and Sausage Stuffed Shells:
1. Preheat oven to 400° F.
2. Arrange onion and butternut squash in an even layer on a lined baking sheet.
3. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast for 40 minutes.
4. While squash and onion are roasting, cook sausage over medium heat.
5. When sausage is mostly browned, add spinach and garlic. Cook until spinach is
wilted and remove from heat.
6. Place roasted butternut squash and onion in a blender or food processor.
7. Pulse to a smooth puree.
8. Allow to cool. Stir in milk and vegetable broth.
9. Pour butternut squash puree into base of a 9″ x 13″ baking dish.
10. In a large mixing bowl, stir together ricotta, Parmesan, and egg.
11. Add sausage and spinach to ricotta and stir until evenly distributed.
12. Fill cooked pasta shells with 3 to 4 tablespoons of filling.
13. Arrange shells in butternut squash sauce in the 9″ x 13″ baking dish.
14. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake for an
additional 15 minutes.
15. Top with additional Parmesan.