This Carrot Cake will receive rave reviews for its unbelievable moistness and flavor! It’s truly the BEST CARROT CAKE you’ll ever try! It’s so easy to make, and, as an added bonus, there’s no oil or butter! I know this cake will quickly become a family favorite. For the first Easter I spent with my boyfriend and his family, I was assigned “something sweet” and made this delicious cake in hopes of making a good impression. The cake was a huge hit among everyone, including the kids!
PREP: 20 min. COOK: 25–40min. YIELDS: 16 slices
*For an easy metric conversion chart, search the Internet for “metric kitchen.”
What You’ll Need For the Best Carrot Cake:
• 1 1/4 cups unsweetened applesauce
• 2 cups granulated sugar
• 3 eggs, room temperature
• 2 cups all-purpose flour
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1 teaspoon cinnamon
• 2 cups grated carrots
• 1 cup shredded sweetened coconut
• 1 cup chopped nuts (optional)
• 1 teaspoon vanilla
• 1 cup crushed pineapple (in juice, not drained)
Cream Cheese Frosting
• 1/2 cup butter, softened
• 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
• 1 teaspoon vanilla
• 1 pound powdered sugar
• toasted pecans or coconut (optional)
What You’ll Do For the Best Carrot Cake:
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Choose your cake pan size—you can use a 9″ x 13″, two 9″ rounds, or three 8″ rounds. Line the bottom of your cake pan(s) with parchment paper and then grease and flour the sides. The cake is very moist, so placing parchment in the bottom of your pans will ensure the cake doesn’t stick.
- Mix all List 1 ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Combine List 2 ingredients and add in. Then, stir in the ingredients from List 3.
- Pour into prepared cake pans.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes for the 9″ x 13″ and 9″ pans and 25 to 30 minutes for the 8″ pans. Cake is done when an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cakes cool for 10 minutes in the pans and then remove to a cooling rack and let cool completely.
For the Frosting
The frosting recipe can be doubled if you would like to pipe a border and add frosting decorations to the top of the cake.
- Beat the butter and cream cheese until fluffy.
- Add in the vanilla and powdered sugar and beat until smooth.
- Invert one cake layer onto a cake plate or stand.
- Apply a generous dollop of frosting and spread.
- Gently place the second cake on top and continue frosting. Repeat with the third cake if you made three.
- Refrigerate for an hour before serving for best results.