Your children will love assisting you by crushing the candies and watching them turn into something beautiful to share with friends and family this holiday season. Remind your children that God fills us with His love so we can give it away to others- and these Stained Glass Cookies are a great way to start!
Prep Time: 20 min. Cook time: 14 min. Yields: 24 cookies
* For an easy metric conversion chart, search the Internet for “metric kitchen.”
What You’ll Need for Stained Glass Cookies:
• your family’s favorite sugar cookie recipe—can be homemade, a mix, or refrigerated dough
• 1 pound bag of hard, clear candies like Jolly Ranchers
• 2 cookie cutters of the same shape, one smaller than the other
What You’ll Do for Stained Glass Cookies:
1. Preheat your oven to 350° F.
2. Separate the hard candies into their various colors and put each color in a small plastic storage bag.
3. Using a rolling pin or something similar, carefully smash the candies into small pieces.
4. Prepare your cookie dough according to the directions for rolled sugar cookies.
5. Roll the cookie dough to approximately 1/4-inch thick and cut with the larger of the two cookie cutters.
6. Transfer the cut-out cookies to a parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
7. Using the smaller cookie cutter, cut out the center of each cookie.
8. Fill the center of each cookie with approximately 1/2 to 1 teaspoon crushed candy.
9. Bake cookies for 12 to 14 minutes.
10. Allow to cool on baking sheet; the cookies will firm up once cooled and the “glass” center will harden.
Note: The candy will be bubbling when it comes out of the oven, but the bubbles should disappear as the candy cools.