Sometimes events cause us to feel as if our lives have been flipped upside down. A serious diagnosis, the loss of a job, a child who walks away from the Lord, a move to a new state, a sudden death—the list could go on and on. Often when something like this happens, we can’t see clearly and begin to panic. But God does not! He can see clearly, and although it can be painful and confusing for us, we can rest knowing that He is working all things together for good. God never promises that life will be easy, but He does promise it will all work out to be good.
Prep Time: 25 min. Cook Time: 25 min. Yield: 12 cupcakes
What You’ll Need for Pineapple Upside-Down Cupcakes:
• 1 (20 ounce) can and 1 (8 ounce) can pineapple chunks in pineapple juice
• 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
• 1/3 cup melted and 1/4 cup softened butter
• 1 cup all-purpose flour
• 3/4 cup granulated sugar
• 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 cup pineapple juice (from pineapple chunks)
• 1 large egg
• 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
• Cooking spray
• Whipped cream
• 12 maraschino cherries
What You’ll Do to Make Pineapple Upside-Down Cupcakes:
1. Preheat oven to 350° F.
2. Spray 12 muffin cups well with cooking spray.
3. Drain both cans of pineapple chunks while reserving a half cup of juice for batter.
4. Place pineapple on several layers of paper towels to drain well.
5. In a microwave-safe bowl, melt 1/3 cup of butter and stir brown sugar into it.
6. Divide brown sugar mixture among muffin cups, adding about 2 teaspoons to each.
7. Arrange pineapple chunks on top of brown sugar mixture, about 5 chunks in each muffin cup. Set aside.
8. Whisk together flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, and salt.
9. Add 1/4 cup of softened butter and pineapple juice; mix with electric mixer until batter is smooth, about 1 to 2 minutes.
10. Mix in egg and vanilla extract until well combined.
11. Divide batter evenly among muffin cups, layering over the pineapple chunks.
12. Bake for 23 to 26 minutes in preheated oven until toothpick inserted into center of cupcake comes out clean.
13. Remove from oven and allow to cool 5 minutes; run a sharp knife around edges to loosen.
14. Place a wire cooling rack over top of muffin pan and flip to invert onto wire rack. Let cool completely.
15. Just before serving, top with whipped cream and a maraschino cherry.