Do you love to have guests drop by? If the answer is yes, then let your friends and family know! These doormats will be a fun way to welcome guests this fall and dress up your doorstep at the same time. Choose any saying you like and maybe even make several mats to change out for each holiday!
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
- coir mat, 18″ x 24″ available for less than $10 at many big-box stores
- outdoor acrylic paint
- “pumpkin” script letters found at http://bit.ly/HFPumpkin
- 8.5″ x 11″ paper
- large poster board
- permanent marker
- craft knife
- sponge stencil brush
- small watercolor paintbrush
- block letter stencils
WHAT YOU’LL DO:
1. Print the “pumpkin” script letters onto 2 sheets of 8.5″ x 11″ paper and cut them out.
2. Place cut letters onto the large poster board and trace around the type with a marker.
3. Using your craft knife, cut around the marker outlines. This poster board becomes your stencil for the word “pumpkin.”
4. Lay your stencil on top of the coir doormat. Hold it firmly in the area you’re painting.
5. Dip your sponge stencil brush in the acrylic paint and dab the paint in a straight up-down motion (not sweeping) to cover the area within your stencil.
6. Keep painting until you’ve fully covered your stencil design with paint.
7. Remove the stencil from the mat and use the small watercolor paintbrush to fill in any areas of the design that didn’t get fully covered with paint