Prep Time: 10 min. Cook Time: 20 min. Yields: 4–6 servings
* For an easy metric conversion chart, search the Internet for “metric kitchen.”
What You’ll Need to Make Summer Lemon Pasta:
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 1 small shallot, minced
• 12 asparagus spears, cut into 1″ pieces, woody ends discarded
• 1 (14 ounce) can quartered artichoke hearts, drained
• 3 cups fresh spinach leaves
• 3 gloves garlic, minced
• 3/4 cup frozen peas
• 8 ounces farfalle pasta or pasta of your choice (whole wheat or gluten-free works well too)
• 2 tablespoons butter
• 2 tablespoons flour (can use gluten-free flour)
• 2 cups low-fat milk or unsweetened almond milk
• zest of 1 large lemon
• juice of 1 large lemon
• 4 lemon slices
• salt and pepper, to taste
• 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
• Parmesan cheese for garnish
What You’ll Do to Make Summer Lemon Pasta:
1. In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat.
2. Add the shallot, asparagus pieces, artichoke hearts, spinach, garlic, and frozen peas.
3. Cook until vegetables are tender and spinach is wilted, about 5 minutes.
4. Pour the vegetables into a large bowl and set aside while you cook the pasta and sauce.
5. Bring a large pot of water to a boil and salt generously. Cook pasta according to package instructions.
6. While the pasta is cooking, place the large skillet you used to cook the vegetables back on the stove and melt the butter.
7. Whisk in the flour, whisking until you don’t have any clumps. Slowly pour in the milk, about 1/2 cup at a time, whisking vigorously.
8. Add the lemon zest and keep whisking until the sauce comes to a boil.
9. Reduce heat to low and whisk occasionally until the sauce thickens. Add in the lemon juice and sliced lemons. Season the sauce with salt and pepper, to taste.
10. Drain the pasta and add it to the thickened lemon sauce.
11. Stir in the cooked vegetables and combine until the pasta and vegetables are well coated with the creamy lemon sauce.
12. Remove the lemon slices with tongs or a spoon.
13. Garnish with fresh basil and Parmesan cheese. Serve warm.