“Children find in the eyes of their parents [or grandparents] the mirror in which they define themselves. Fill them with nothing and they become nothing.” -William Glasser, Psychiatrist
We are all born with an innate desire to be filled with something. As young children, we begin by looking to our parents and grandparents to fill us. We want answers and direction, love, acceptance, and purpose. As parents and grandparents, our role is to guide the young ones God has placed in our care to the only One who can fill their emptiness.
Romans 15:13 encourages us with these words: “May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.”
As we trust in God, He can fill our innate void with joy and peace—which in turn gives us hope. This is an important message for our grandchildren. The world surrounds them with hopelessness. Without the power of the Holy Spirit, that hopelessness can begin to define them.
Grandparents, play this simple game of chase to remind your grandchildren that God alone can fill them with joy and peace!
HOW TO PLAY JOY CHASE
1. Purchase a package of dot stickers in assorted colors (found at office supply stores).
2. Write the word “joy” on each dot on several sheets of the stickers.
3. Assign a color to each player and hand out the stickers—one player will have all the blue
stickers, another all the red stickers, and so on.
4. Explain that the goal of the game is to stick as many joy stickers as possible on other players, while avoiding getting stickers on you.
5. Set a timer for one minute. When the timer goes off, stop and see who was able to spread
the most joy by counting up the stickers of each color.
Remind your grandchildren that God wants to fill us with His joy and peace. He wants us to live a life defined by His purpose and hope!