Allow your kids to spread the Chex Mix Harvest Hash dry ingredients on baking sheets while you make the caramel topping— be sure to invite them to watch when you add the baking soda! This is a great snack to package up and give away to family and friends.
Prep Time: 20 min. Cook time: 30 min. Yields: 12 cups
* For an easy metric conversion chart, search the Internet for “metric kitchen.”
What You’ll Need for Chex Mix Harvest Hash:
• 1 bag popped microwave popcorn
• 2 cups rice Chex cereal
• 2 cups wheat Chex cereal
• 2 cups corn Chex cereal
• 2 cups pretzels
• 2 cups pecan halves
• 2 cups candy corn
• 1 1/2 cups packed light brown sugar
• 3/8 cup light corn syrup
• 3/4 cup butter
• 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar (optional)
• 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
• 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
What You’ll Do for Chex Mix Harvest Hash:
1. Preheat the oven to 300° F.
2. Spread the popcorn, Chex cereal, pretzels, and pecans out onto 2 large baking sheets. Set aside.
3. Combine the sugar, corn syrup, butter, cream of tartar, and vanilla in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir constantly and bring to a boil for about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and quickly stir in the baking soda.
4. Pour the caramel over the popcorn and stir gently until all the kernels are coated.
5. Bake for 30 minutes, stirring twice.
6. Allow to cool on the pan and break apart large clusters if desired.
7. Add the candy corn.
8. Cover the “hash” tightly once cooled.