As parents, we must challenge our children to take responsibility for their brothers and sisters in Christ as well as those who are spiritually lost. One way we can do this is to encourage them to be light in a dark world by proclaiming Jesus, the one true marvelous Light. This month, allow the candle in the cement candle holder to serve as a reminder that we are to let our lights shine!
What You’ll Need for Cement Candle Holders:
• paper coffee cup (12 ounce)
• craft foam (8″ x 10″ piece)
• double-sided tape
• tea light candle
• craft cement (enough to fill a 12-ounce cup)
• large emery board
• masking tape
• 1/8 cup vegetable oil
• small, weighty object (e.g., bottle of nail polish)
What You’ll Do:
1. Trace or draw two leaf shapes onto craft foam. Be sure to press down hard to create an embossed look. Cut the leaves out.
2. Place several pieces of double-sided tape on the backs of the leaves and tape them to the inside of the paper cup.
3. Create a mold for the candle by tracing the bottom of a tea light onto craft foam and cutting out the circle. Then, cut a strip of craft foam to fit around the outside of the tea light candle. Use the masking tape to attach this piece to the circular piece to create a cylinder shape.
4. Paint the leaves and the outside of the craft foam cylinder with vegetable oil. This will help you to remove the craft foam and paper cup from the cement.
5. Mix cement per package directions—it should be the consistency of peanut butter.
6. Pour cement into the paper cup, filling it to about an inch from the top, and then place the craft foam cylinder in the center of the cement.
7. Place a small object (like a bottle of nail polish) in the center of the foam cylinder to weigh it down.
8. Let dry for 24 hours.
9. Peel paper cup and foam leaves away from the cement and remove the craft foam cylinder from the center.
10. File down any rough edges with an emery board.
11. Place a tea light candle in the center, light, and enjoy!