In Luke 6:31 Jesus tells us to do unto others as we would like them to do to us. As a mom of five girls, I can’t tell you how many times I have talked with them about showing this type of love and respect to others. I think this is probably a common household rule in most Christian homes.
One way we like to model love towards others in our home is by inviting people over for a meal. No need to get fancy. This does not require a cleaning lady or new throw pillows. We just open our home as it is and enjoy a meal and fellowship.
Get your family together and brainstorm. What is your favorite meal and who would you like to invite? Maybe a neighbor, coworker or a new family who just started going to your church or the kids’ school.
Our family enjoys having the young adult pastors and youth leaders over. We make beef sliders (recipe below) and fries! It is one of our favorites.
Another option could be taking your favorite meal to a friend who has had a rough week or has been sick. This is a great way to treat others the way you would like to be treated. Get the kids involved and deliver that love. Because love is an action. And actions always speak louder than words!
Prep Time: 15 min. Cook Time: 30 min. Yields: 24
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
• 2 pounds of ground beef
• 8 ounces of bacon cooked and crumbled
• 1 large onion chopped
• 1 package dry beefy onion soup mix
• 24—2 inch Slices of cheddar cheese (or your favorite)
• 24 Slider buns or dinner rolls
• Your favorite Barbeque sauce
* For an easy metric conversion chart, search the Internet for “metric kitchen.”
WHAT YOU’LL DO
1. Cook bacon and set aside to cool.
2. Chop onion and cook in bacon grease.
3. In a large bowl mix ground beef with dry soup mix and cooled
crumbled bacon (using your hands is highly recommended)
4. Form into 2-inch patties and cook in skillet on stove.
5. Top with cheese slices.
6. Place on bun with grilled onions and sauce of your choice.
We like to serve this with sweet potato fries and a green vegetable or salad.